Baked sweet potato fries are great on top of a salad, inside a gluten free taco with vegetables, or eaten on their own dipped in hummus. Sweet potatoes have a high amount of Vitamin A which is a natural anti-inflammatory known to create healthier skin and help get rid of acne causing bacteria!
- 2 organic sweet potatoes (enough for 2-3 people)
- Avocado oil spray (*brand below)
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes with plain water
- Peel potatoes with a peeler OR leave on skin if you prefer (skin on = more fiber = get fuller quicker)
- Cut the sweet potatoes
- Grease baking sheet with the avocado oil and place potatoes on sheet. (Allow them each to lay flat so they cook evenly. This may require using two baking sheets).
- Spray avocado oil over potatoes so that each potato is lightly and completely coated. Use your hands to toss them around.
- Sprinkle with a dash of sea salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes then check on them. Turn them with spatula.
- Bake for another 10 minutes. Keep cooking until they start to brown then take them out. They will not get crisp like regular potatoes. They will stay soft.
Each type of oil (example: olive oil, coconut oil) has its own smoke point. A smoke point is the temperature that the oil begins to smoke. In cooking, we don’t want this to happen. When an oil gets heated above its smoke point it creates free radicals which are not great for your body. This particular avocado oil is made for high heat cooking. It is safe up to 500°
A list of each oil and its smoke point can be found here: SMOKE POINTS
And if you’re looking for the best sweet potatoes in the world check out this stand at the Leucadia Farmer’s Market: